This committee operates in accordance with the UWA Principles for the Operation of Committee and UWA Rules for the operation of committees. Members must act in accordance with the University Committee Members' Code of Conduct.
1. The Higher Degree Research (HDR) Scholarships Committee is a standing committee of the Board of Graduate Research School.
2. The role of the HDR Scholarships Committee is to—
a) recommend to the University Executive or body, where appropriate, funding and budget strategies pertaining to the administration of HDR scholarships;
b) monitor academic standards for the award of postgraduate research scholarships and ensure that all awards are allocated in accordance with university Legislation and policy and the principles of equity and open competition;
c) deal exclusively with all matters relating to the award of postgraduate research scholarships within the Deed of Gift and all postgraduate awards funded by Government and other external agencies;
d) on behalf of Academic Board, approve the establishment of postgraduate research scholarships that are not restricted to students enrolled in a course offered by an individual faculty and are in accordance with University legislation and policy;
e) on behalf of Academic Board, oversee the establishment of all postgraduate research scholarships having regard to University legislation and policy;
f) ensure that proposed new or amended scholarship conditions are accurate, clear, consistent with other University legislation and policy an in accordance with any established standard wording and drafting principles; and
g) to provide an annual report to the Board of the Graduate Research School as part of fulfilling its reporting requirements.
3.(1) The committee comprises:
(a) the Dean of Graduate Research School as Chair;
(b) the Chair of the Academic Board or nominee;
(c) at least two Academic Board members appointed by and from the membership of the Board of the Graduate Research School;
(d) Associate Deans (Research) from each of the four faculties;
(e) an additional academic staff member, nominated and appointed by the BGRS, from each of the four faculties; and
(f) the Associate Director, Graduate Research School.
(2) The Graduate Scholarships Officer is a standing invitee to meetings of the committee.
(3) The committee elects a deputy chair from among its members.
Terms of office
4.(1) The term of office of members appointed under 3(1)(c) is the same as their term appointed by the Academic Board on the Board of the Graduate Research School.
(2) The term of office of members appointed under 3(1)(e) is two years.
(3) At the end of a term of office, members appointed under 3(1)(e) are eligible to be appointed again.
5. The quorum for the committee is half the number of members plus one.
6.(1) All questions which come before the committee are decided by a majority of the members present and voting.
(2) The chair of the meeting has an ordinary vote and a casting vote.
7.(1) The Chair has delegated authority to approve the establishment of scholarships described in 2(e) where these are for higher degrees by research and the proposed conditions principally comprise standard clauses.
8. The committee meets as and when required.