This committee operates in accordance with the UWA Principles for the Operation of Committee and UWA Rules for the operation of committees. Members must act in accordance with the University Committee Members' Code of Conduct.
1. The Higher Degree Research (HDR) Candidature Committee is a standing committee of the Board of Graduate Research School.
2. The role of the HDR Candidature Committee is -
a) to deal exclusively, under delegated authority of the Board of Graduate Research School, with all matters, including review of complex cases, relating to the admission, enrolment, candidature management, ,supervision and examination of candidates for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy and the degrees of Master by Research by thesis as are approved by the Academic Board; and
b) to provide an annual report to the Board of the Graduate Research School as part of fulfilling its reporting requirements.
3.(1) The committee comprises:
(a) the Dean of Graduate Research School as Chair;
(b) at least one Academic Board nominee appointed by and from the membership of the Board of the Graduate Research School;
(c) an academic staff members, ideally a GRC, nominated and appointed by BGRS, from each of the four faculties;
(d) the Associate Director, Graduate Research School and
(e) a Graduate Education Officer.
Terms of office
4.(1) The term of office of members appointed under 3(1)(b) is the same as their term appointed by the Academic Board on the Board of the Graduate Research School.
(2) The term of office of members appointed under 3(1)(c) is three years.
(3) At the end of a term of office, members appointed under 3(1)(c) are eligible to be appointed again.
5. The quorum for the committee is half the number of members plus one.
6.(1) All questions which come before the committee are decided by a majority of the members present and voting.
(2) The chair of the meeting has an ordinary vote and a casting vote.
8. The HDR Candidature standing committee normally meets monthly.