University Secretary, Executive Officer.
The constitution of the Honorary Degrees Committee.
This committee operates in accordance with the UWA Principles for the Operation of Committee and UWA Rules for the operation of committees. Members must act in accordance with the University Committee Members' Code of Conduct.
Members must also act in accordance with the Senate Code which applies to Senate and Senate committees. In accordance with the Code members must among other things:
This committee also operates in accordance with Statute 14.
1. The Honorary Degrees Committee is a standing committee of the Senate.
2. The role of the committee is to—
(a) make recommendations to Senate on the award of honorary degrees; and
(b) make decisions on the award of Chancellor's medal.
3.(1) The committee comprises:
(a) The Chancellor;
(b) The Pro-Chancellor;
(c) The Vice-Chancellor;
(d) the Chair of the Academic Board;
(e) two other Senate members appointed by the Senate;
(f) two members nominated by the Academic Board.
(2) The Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor is a standing invitee to meetings of the committee.
(3) The University Secretary is Executive Officer to the Committee.
4. The term of office of members appointed under 3(1)(e) and (f) is two years.
5. At the end of a term of office, members appointed under 3(1)(e) and (f) are eligible to be reappointed.
6. The quorum for the committee is five.
7.(1) All questions which come before the committee are decided by a majority of the members present and voting.
(2) The chair of the meeting has an ordinary vote and a casting vote.
8. The committee normally meets at least once each year but may meet more frequently if necessary.