Constitution of the University Safety Committee.
This committee operates in accordance with the UWA Principles for the Operation of Committees and UWA Rules for the Operation of Committees. Members must act in accordance with the University Committee Members' Code of Conduct.
2. The role of the committee is to—
(a) assist the University in complying with statutory occupational safety and health obligations and best practice requirements to provide safe workplaces and safe work practices;
(b) assist workplaces and individuals by supporting the provision of occupational safety and health information, instruction, training and financial assistance as required;
(c) provide a forum to raise occupational safety and health issues and assistance with resolving such issues;
(d) review and approve occupational safety and health policies, procedures and programs for continuous improvement in these areas;
(e) monitor occupational safety and health performance at the University;
(f) advise the University community of occupational safety and health responsibilities, performance and issues as required; and
(g) promote a culture of safety throughout the University.
3.(1) The University Safety Committee comprises:
(a) two members of the Academic staff, nominated by the Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor;
(b) one member nominated by and from the University Managers Group;
(c) the Director, Human Resources or nominee;
(d) the Director, Campus Management or nominee;
(e) the Director, University Health Services or nominee;
(f) six members nominated by and from the current University Safety and Health Representatives;
(g) up to two co-opted members, provided that at least one is a current University Safety and Health Representative;
(h) the President of the Postgraduate Students' Association or nominee as an invitee; and
(i) the Associate Director, Safety, Health and Wellbeing, to be a standing invitee.
(3) The Chair must appoint a Deputy Chair to act in the Chair’s absence.
4.(1) The terms of office of members appointed under 3(1)(a) and (b) is two years.
(2) The term of office of members appointed under 3(1)(f) and co-opted under 3(1)(g) is one year.
5.(1) At the end of a term of office, members appointed under 3(1)(a), (b) and (f) may be re-appointed.
(2) At the end of a term of office, members co-opted under 3(1)(g) may be co-opted again.
6. It is desirable that members appointed after nomination under 3(1)(a), (b) and (f) have knowledge, skills and experience in occupational safety and health fundamentals and application, and also experience in University administration.
7. The quorum for the committee is seven members.
8.(1) All questions which come before the committee are decided by a majority of the members present and voting.
(2) The chair of the meeting has an ordinary vote and a casting vote.
9. The committee normally meets at least once every second month but may meet more frequently if necessary.
10.(1) The committee may delegate its responsibilities under 2 to the Chair or their nominee.
(2) The committee may delegate its responsibility in relation to considering and recommending on specific applications to a sub-committee (comprising University Safety Committee members).
11. Election of Safety and Health Representatives to serve on the University Safety Committee are conducted by a call for nominations from all current Safety and Health Representatives, following their annual appointment. If required, a ballot may be conducted to determine the six members to serve on the committee for the next year.
A decision-making map illustrating where the committee’s business comes from and where its recommendations or decisions go is available below.
A communications map illustrating where information comes to the committee from and which committees or groups need to be informed of the committee’s decisions is available below.