Simone Chapple, Executive Officer.
Constitution of the Board of Animal Facilities.
Animal Care Services is governed by the UWA Board of Animal Facilities which is an advisory committee to the Vice-Chancellor. The role of the board is to ensure the compliance, management, improvements and budget of the animal facilities at UWA.
This committee operates in accordance with the UWA Principles for the Operation of Committee and UWA Rules for the operation of committees. Members must act in accordance with the University Committee Members' Code of Conduct.
1. The Board of Animal Facilities (BAF) is an advisory committee to the Vice-Chancellor.
2. The role of the BAF is to—
(a) ensure that all centralised animal facilities of the University comply with accepted codes of practice or other statutory requirements;
(b) ensure that all centralised animal facilities are operated and maintained to the highest standard;
(c) advise the Vice-Chancellor on the need for new or improved animal facilities to further biomedical research at the University;
(d) approve an annual budget submission for the University's centralised animal facilities, including approving user charges; and
(e) provide an annual report to the Vice-Chancellor on the operation and status of animal facilities at the University.
3.(1) The BAF comprises:
(a) the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) or nominee, as Chair;
(b)(i) the Dean of the Faculty of Science or nominee;
(ii) the Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences or nominee;
(c) the Director of Animal Care Services; and
(d) the Chair of the Animal Ethics Committee.
(2) The Manager of Animal Facilities is the Executive Officer of the BAF.
4. A person who is to be a nominee under 3(1)(b)(i) and (ii) should preferably have knowledge or experience that is relevant to the role of the BAF.
5. The quorum for the BAF is four, which must include two of the members described in 3(1)(b).
6.(1) All business which comes before the BAF is decided by a majority of the members present and voting.
(2) The chair of the meeting has an ordinary vote and a casting vote.
7. The BAF must meet at least once each year to approve the annual budget of the centralised animal facilities for the following year to time with the annual University Overheads budget bid.